- 21-year-old signs first NHL contract must have a 3-year entry level deal worth no more than $925,000 per year
- 24-year-old is only required to sign a 1-year deal for his first NHL contract
- North American at age 25 can sign whatever deal he wants
- European at age 25 is still subjected to a 1-year entry level deal
- European at age 28 can sign whatever deal he wants for first NHL contract
Highlighted below is the clause in the NHL CBA that stipulates different parameters for European players.