Game Charts: Blackhawks Players Past Five Games

Below are the five – on – five play stats from the past five Chicago Blackhawks games.

  • W 3-1 vs DAL
  • W 2-1 at NYR
  • W 5-4 at NYI
  • W 6-4 at STL
  • W 4-1 vs SJS
screen-shot-2016-12-19-at-10-48-15-am
SHOT +/-
screen-shot-2016-12-19-at-10-45-29-am
CORSI FOR %

Corsi For % illustrates what percentage of shots the Blackhawks take compared to opponents with each player on the ice.

Artemi Panarin has played great. His 65% Corsi indicates that when he was on the ice, Chicago took 65% off all on ice shot attempts, compared to the opponents taking 35% of all shots.

Plenty of players struggled such as Hinostroza, Motte, Kruger, Rasmussen, Hartman, Desjardins, Tootoo, Hossa, and Seabrook.

screen-shot-2016-12-19-at-10-50-46-am
SCORING CHANCE +/-
screen-shot-2016-12-19-at-10-46-36-am
SCORING CHANCE FOR %

The above stat shows what percentage of scoring chances the Blackhawks had compared to opponents with each player on the ice.

We see Tyler Motte has really struggles as Chicago only had 14% of all scoring chances when he was on the ice. This means the opponents had 86% of the total scoring chances when Motte was on the ice.

Chicago only out chanced opponents with Panarin, Campbell, Anisimov, or Kane on the ice.

screen-shot-2016-12-19-at-10-49-59-am
EXPECTED GOALS +/-
screen-shot-2016-12-19-at-10-46-06-am
EXPECTED GOALS FOR %

This stat illustrates which percentage of goals the Blackhawks are expected to score, based on shot quality, with each player on the ice.

Panarin’s 62% would indicate that Chicago had more shots and higher quality shots than the opponent with Panarin on the ice.

Plenty of players are below 45% which would indicate the opponent controlling play and taking higher quality shots than Chicago when those players were on the ice.

screen-shot-2016-12-19-at-10-48-51-am
GOALS +/-

When looking at actual 5v5 goal +/-, official fan punching bag Trevor Van Riemsdyk led with (+5). Chicago scored 5 more even strength goals than the opponent when he was on the ice.

screen-shot-2016-12-19-at-10-52-12-am
SHOTS ATTEMPTS/60

This stat simply shows how many shots each player is taking. Hinostroza, Motte, Anisimov, and Kane are shooting more than any other player. Duncan Keith is also shooting a lot.

screen-shot-2016-12-19-at-10-51-39-am
PRIMARY POINTS/60

Primary points are goals and primary or first assists only. The second assist is disregarded in this stat as it can often be noise. A player can record a second assist without having much impact on the goal at all. That’s why it is usually thrown out in small sample sizes that aren’t over one season large.

Above, we see that Anisimov, Hinostroza, and Hossa have done the most scoring for Chicago over the last 5 games. Remember, every chart in this post is from 5-on-5 play only. The above scoring rate does not include power play, OT, or other special situations.

screen-shot-2016-12-19-at-10-52-54-am
INDIVIDUAL EXPECTED GOALS/60

Anisimov, Hinostroza, and Hossa are taking many shots that are also very dangerous. This is illustrated in their high individual expected goals numbers above. This stat looks at shots and where they come from on the ice. A player with many shots from the slot will have higher expected goals than a player who takes many shots from the point.


Below are the forward rankings based on possession (team based numbers) and production (individual based numbers)

The heavy hitters are out front with Anismov, Panarin, Kane, Toews, and Hossa providing the most positive impact over the past five games.

(Note: Green = good / Yellow = okay / Red = subpar)

screen-shot-2016-12-19-at-11-07-49-am
FORWARD RANKINGS

 

With the Defensemen, oops looks like I didn’t fix the shading of the names, Keith, Hjalmarsson, and Campbell performed the best in recent games.

screen-shot-2016-12-19-at-11-10-44-am
DEFENSEMEN RANKINGS

 

Finally, lets take a look at Chicago’s 5v5 stats as a team over the past five games.

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 11.54.17 AM.png

Negatives (which isn’t good) in every category except for actual goals.

Opponents have out-shot and out-chanced Chicago during 5-on-5 play over the past five games, but Chicago has managed to win all five games.